Dexter Bar Cafe

Dexter Bar Cafe doesn't have enough review data for a recommendation based on its 13 reviews

8.1

Add a Review for Dexter Bar Cafe

Coffee

Coffee

User Reviews of Dexter Bar Cafe, Clifton Hill

If you like rude service then Dexter is your place. Dexter keeps up the tradition of the 'look away' service. That is, dump your luke warm coffee on your table without eye contact or emotion. They also take orders from the cuff rather than write them down. Problem is they don't have the memory to pull this off. Yes, wrong order. The place needs a good clean, it's dusty and it reminds me of being in my old share house lounge room with my lazy housemates. They will not get a second chance I'm afraid.
    It's very obvious by the way that they have a few friends that like to review. It's also obvious that these reviews alone will not keep the business going in its current form. Your customers deserve better.

May 29, 2011

Cool, little gem in Clifton Hill. Has an old-school honesty about it.. staff are prompt and friendly. Met the owner and he is a great guy, always friendly and cool. Your glass of water will never be empty in this place and whether you feel like food, coffee, beer or their awesome pear cider you won't be disappointed, sounds like I work there, lol. I don't!

Apr 25, 2010

I've seen the staff ignore patrons if they don't think they're cool enough for their cafe. They snigger at them when they leave. Grow up, Dexter, it's a cafe not a nightclub.

Feb 01, 2010

Bringing a bit of life to clifton hill finally! The coffees I've had have all been excellent, particularly those made by who I assume is the "owner dude" other reviewers are referring to, the one with the quirky sense of humor some people may not get. The food that I've tried has all been really tasty, and another plus is some of the staff there are cute! Oh and there's tequila, good tequila. I like it.

Aug 04, 2009

I'm a semi-regular at Dexter's, and have been since it opened over two years ago now. The coffee is good, even though it's not generally available after whatever time is determined to be 'beer o'clock' on a weekend. The breakfasts really are good - healthy, different and not too enormous. It also makes for a lovely way to pass a Sunday afternoon enjoying a drink in the sun out the front or the back.

The music is always varied and interesting, and they have some really good live music and other stuff (eg: poetry readings) from time to time. The senior staff can be a little moody, but he (and, might I add, some of the obviously very-regular patrons) can also be quite fun and source of entertainment all on their own!

My favourite part about Dexter's is that it's not full of noisy, messy children. Not to say families shouldn't be able to go out, but I'm just glad that Dexter's offers those of us not up for the kid-thing somewhere to go for some P & Q in an adult environment at any time during the day or night. I have personally witnessed, in Dexter's early days, the senior staff of this cafe/bar asking a young family to leave.

Let me tell you, I'm glad he did, because I was about to walk out in disgust. People (including me) were trying to enjoy a nice, relaxing afternoon drink. The kids spent 20 minutes yelling, crying and making a huge mess (mostly squashed food) on/under their own table and on everything in the near vicinity. The parents seemed oblivious to the disruption their brood was causing, not the least of which was the ridiculous pram taking up most of the walkway!

In the end he asked them not to worry about settling the bill, but just to please leave. Come on, there are plenty of 'kid friendly' places out there. Parents need to realise that everyone's world doesn't revolve around their young children.

So, despite the fact that this guy can be moody, and some people take offence to children not being welcomed with open arms, I will continue to frequent Dexter's as my relaxing, adult place of choice.

May 16, 2009

Great place to hang out on the sunny side of queens parade, inside or outside. Great music not your usual remixed annual dribble seen in so many cafes, god knows we do't need anymore coldplay remixes. After 5 pm rings true there is a fine selection of beer or a deliciouse U'Luvka Vodka martini, yes they do cocktails! Dexter is a pure delight any time of day and the jewel in the crown of queens parade. Two thumbs up!

Apr 16, 2009

A side serve of attitude and eggs? sounds good to me, should be on the menu, yes please! When the "dude" picks the ones he is going to be friendly with, I really hope he "picks me," and can I please have a list of "better coffee's" in North Fitzroy, I'm all about better coffee. The girl who makes the food really is lovely, I want her number. I am yet to meet a well behaved child, we all need to see this remarkable little person!

I say Bravo to a place we can go where service is honest and forthright, if you want a smile with a nametag, head to macca's. I hear some of them have playgrounds, and, if there is one in North fitzroy, it is sure to have better coffee. Go Dexter Rah Rah Rah.

Apr 14, 2009

Dexter, how I long for you. Your wonderful coffee, succulent food, buzzing hip attitude, cool and varied tunes, tasty beer and the banter from your lovely staff. I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my day then to rest in your bountiful presence. Best thing is no annoying children and their self centered ‘I want children but still want to be young and free’ parents. Never change Dexter.

Apr 14, 2009

A bar and a cafe in Clifton Hill that oozes cool. Finally! Top booze and great food. Sunshine and superb coffee are a must indoors or out. There is great chat from staff and good banter from others too. I'm glad to find a place with no screaming kids and babychinos during my brunch! Friendly staff make great food which changes regularly and always has good vego options. I have been here a few times now and think that I have a new regular weekend breakfast spot (and maybe somewhere for afterwork drinks too)!

Apr 14, 2009

If you fancy a side serve of attitude with your eggs, than look no further than Dexter. The dude seems to pick and choose the customers he wants to be rude to and who he will be friendly to. The coffee is good, but not that good, there's better coffee just about anywhere else in North Fitzroy. The girl who makes the food is lovely, but that doesn't save this place either. Never going there again and warning everyone I know not to bother.

Mar 21, 2009

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!