Rubicon Restaurant

EFTPos

Parking

Free Parking
Parking Suggestions
Extensive free parking both at the front and at the rear of the restaurant

Overview of Rubicon Restaurant

Rubicon Restaurant is nestled just south of the Parliamentary Triangle within the Griffith shops. It is a cosy retreat for those who love good food and great wine. Candlelit tables gently illuminate a dining experience rated as one of the best in Canberra. Rubicon offers modern Australian dishes with care and finesse. The restaurant is sectioned into two parts by the central kitchen: you can choose a front window spot, or push down the back, which opens out into an atrium-style room.

Add a Review for Rubicon Restaurant

User Reviews of Rubicon Restaurant, Griffith

I was completely disappointed. The food was very average & the atmosphere; the decor was just awful. It felt like I was eating in the shearers quarters. Our waiter was rushed & obviously in a mood, I mean really - just be pleasant when taking our order. He almost stabbed me in the face when removing a knife from the table. My entree was lovely but my main was really quite terrible, the barramundi was meant to be 'crispy skin' but actually was burnt, the dumplings were complete stodge & with no flavour. My partner thoroughly enjoyed his steak however.

Aug 18, 2013

Can't say enough good things about this restaurant. Although tonight my main was fairly average, I know that this is rare, as everything this place does is generally amazing. And one ordinary main is compensated for by the exceptional service and attention to detail.

The pork belly assiette is hard to pass up. I think the best idea is to go for a degustation and try a bit of everything. The wine list is extensive and the wait staff are great at giving suggestions on what kind of wine you might like. I will be back, again and again and again... Love it.

Aug 10, 2013

Without exception, every time I have gone to this well thought of restaurant something goes wrong. If it were out in Weston Creek, it would have probably been overlooked. However, it is in Griffith near Aubergine and the sheer amount of money in the South Suburbs has kept it affloat.

Orders get lost, plates go to the wrong tables, the heat isn't working, employees argue aloud in front of guests. Worth a visit if you eat out 3 times a week. Not worth it if you eat out 3 times a month.

Nov 29, 2012

After a hectic couple of months, my husband and I decided to head to Rubicon for a special meal. For a Monday evening it was quite busy. The extensive menu had so many great options, we could not decide. We asked about the degustation menu, and happily went with the staff's recommendations. It was a lovely treat to have a surprise for each course, with beautifully matched wines for my husband.

The service was wonderful, the food exceptional, and considering the quality the prices were reasonable. I will be going back! The only reason I marked down for ambience was the couple seated next to us who were arguing, at times quite loudly.

Jul 10, 2012

This was the big disappointment of my eating out in May. I went with 3 friends to dinner. No special occasion. We are all just 'foodies.' The food was not bad, just sort of ok, but nothing worth writing home about. Nice waitress, nice plates and cutlery, nice looking place. Worthy wine list. But we were looking for good food. Unfortunately, it was ordinary and not really worth the price.

Jun 13, 2012

The food was bland And uninteresting and my partner and I felt like we were pushed out the door to make Way for the next sitting. From walking in to Walking out we was less than 40 minutes and they were more interested in taking our money than seeing if we had a good meal. We will never return.

Mar 07, 2012

Was seated out the back and an amazing fairy lit terrace, very nice as this was a date. I had the zucchini flower for entree and it was delicious. I had the fish for main and it was also very good. I choose not to have dessert as the menu sounded strange but regretted it after my date got his and it looked amazing.

Jan 06, 2012

I was down in Canberra from Sydney on a weekend NGA visit so was casting around for a solo gourmet experience for dinner early on a Friday night. Rubicon sounded like it would fit the bill on the basis of previous reviews here (none since November 2010, however).

I must, therefore, frankly report in detail on my experience as a Fail for the following reasons. Regardless of the fact that it was a one visit wonder. Nevertheless, the fact that two out of three dishes failed in my view would not exactly encourage me to visit again. So course by course it went like this.

Rabbit and porcini raviolo with sauté of wild mushrooms, a single raviolo, which looked suspiciously on visual examination before I even bit into it as being almost "raw". The fact that it was barely lukewarm and was chewy al dente in texture made it seem as if it had never been cooked in boiling water as one might expect.

After the first bite, I immediately called the waiter who agreed with no drama to take it back to the kitchen and to do me another one. In due course a second one was presented, which did not really improve on the first but was at least warmer in temperature, but nevertheless was basically the same. At least the first had visible chunks of white meat in it along with a yellowy sort of puree, the second seemed to consist only of the yellowy puree (must admit to being very suspicious outside Italy as to the alleged use of porcini).

The waiter enquired whether this one was better and I indicated only really in terms of temperature but I would suffer it. When I asked whether they were housemade, he said they were bought in.

To the amusement of a friend I have conducted a worldwide trial of duck dishes, particularly having spent about 12 weeks in the last year or so on two visits to Europe. My Canberra trial of the free range duck here was not, therefore, a rare visit to the land of duck. The promised confit leg had the unfortunate appearance of almost seeming deep fried, but was otherwise tasty.

I expected the described seared breast to have, perhaps, been grilled, etc. in the piece, then thinly sliced as it normally is. However, the three separate undistinguished chunks of duck once again looked like they had been panfried and (too) well cooked, so no rareness there. The liver parfait was just plopped on top of those chunks and, unfortunately, there was nothing to eat the parfait with (I had not ordered bread nor was any offered with it).

The promised Jerusalem artichoke and baby beetroot were tiny decorative items, rather than vegetable accompaniment and I would have to say that the idea of the salt cod croquette was entirely misplaced and out of context in this dish.

Despite two fails I pressed on to the dessert, figuring that who can mess up a crème brûlée? The ginger and lime crème brûlée with crème fraîche sorbet was indeed very tasty and the idea of the roasted half passionfruit was both tasty and novel. However, with a glass of white wine with the pasta and a pinot noir the total bill was virtually $100 (minimal rounding of the bill by way of "tip" given courses 1 and 2).

This is not an insignificant amount in anyone's language. Anyone can be unlucky in their menu choices but two out of three judged effective failures in this price range is not very good.

Nov 20, 2011

We went here for the second time recently for a Birthday party for my Sister in Law. 20 of us were seated in the back area and we had one waiter. There was never an empty glass and the food was all fantastic. I am a harsh critic of restaurants that charge big prices and provide less than acceptable waitstaff. Rubicon has this covered. I had the soup which was utterly fantastic, and the pork tenderloin. Definitely going back here again!

Dec 19, 2010

Each year, my family takes me to Rubicon for my birthday and I love it. I love the location, the atmosphere, the layout and the food. My favourite place to sit is in conservatory/courtyard, which is particularly beautiful at night.

My brother and I like to share the pear and pumpkin risotto as an entrée (it is actually a main) and we each have beautifully presented plates given to us when the entrées are served. Most recently, I had a delicious gnocchi as a main course. Their house-made ice creams are also a great dessert, which suits me because I'm not usually interested in cake after an entrée and a main.

I don't mind the price tag attached to dinner at Rubicon – it is regarded as one of Canberra's fine dining restaurants – but I have to say I'm not crazy about the service. I have always found the service at Rubicon very mediocre, something I find incongruous to the quality of the food and its status as a fine dining institution. Then again, based on the glowing feedback on the service given by other reviewers below, perhaps my experience is an anomaly and I have gone there at unusual times. Nevertheless, it's not enough to turn me off the food!

Dec 07, 2010

Rubicon Restaurant « 1 of 1 photos »

Related Editorial Content for Rubicon Restaurant

Subscribe to the Canberra newsletter for deals, specials and news!