Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe

Vegan

Has Cafe
Outdoor Dining

Overview of Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe

Banana Leaf is a restaurant nestled in the heart of the Canberra CBD. From its humble beginnings, Banana Leaf won many fans and its authentic Sri Lankan and Modern Australian menu is now a staple in the civic's restaurant scene.

The light and airy ambience owes to the sweeping glass awning and floor-length windows. It spills to a large seating area outside, allowing you to dine by the colourful water fountain. The staff is very welcoming, helping you with the delicious and interesting choices in the menu. Drop by Banana Leaf for coffee and cake after theatre, a light brunch or for your next function.

Add a Review for Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe

User Reviews of Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe, Canberra CBD

First off, the service was fantastic, not often the case at many places. We enjoyed a family dinner that catered to all our taste and dietary needs and we felt they went above and beyond in terms of value. A pleasant and comfortable ambience also added to the overall enjoyment. Top marks and we'd go again.

Aug 19, 2012

My partner and I recently visited the restaurant on a very busy Friday night (22/06) with no reservation and it was not a disappointment for us. Although being a friday night the staffs and management were very helpful in accommodating us, service was excellent with the help of the manager (think she could be the manager), she recommended the weekly special of lamb biriyani and prawn curry with roti/lentil dip on side, it was the best meals we had seen moving from Sydney to Canberra.

We will definitely be coming back again and again, as well as to book in advance.

Jun 25, 2012

This was apalling. We went as a family group for an important celebration. The worst service I have ever seen. We were served by an open-mouthed gum chewing waiter reaching across everyone, dumping food unceremoniously. And what food, bland, overcooked, over-sugared food, completely nondescript or tough. Roadside cafes prepare better food. Down the road there is somewhere else for the same prices. Go there.

Dec 15, 2011

For me in Canberra, this about as good as it gets. The food is good, and the server was actually knowledgeable and made some suggestions when we asked for them, and they were great suggestions. We were of course abandoned to the wolves after that, regrettably, because it is Australia after all and we can never get post-order service, but I'd go back. The wattleseed mussels as an entree were fantastic, and we had the string hoppers and Kottu Rotti as mains, which were both just fantastic.

Jul 26, 2011

I went to Banana Leaf 2 weeks ago with my mother before a show at the Canberra Theatre. I ordered the Pittu, which was presented beautifully and tasted great (however, I was expecting a bit more chilli), I especially enjoyed the side of 'Sri Lankan gravy'. Mum ordered the Sri Lankan Style Rice and curry, which was also good, but I struggled to find the difference in taste between my own dish and hers.

Wasn't completely Wow'ed by the food, but it was satisfying enough to intrigue me to return for a 2nd visit at another time. Service was exceptional. Loved the Mango Lassi.

Jun 11, 2011

If you want to experience excellent food complimented with A1 service and atmosphere, then treat yourself to a meal at Banana Leaf Cafe Restaurant in Canberra. I have visited this establishment a number of times and cannot fault it, plus the prices are reasonable too. Congratulations to management and staff for a wonderful dining experience. Please try! M

Nov 17, 2010

As a first try for me at Sri Lankan food, this place was delicious. Layout was tidy and the noise level perfect. Good idea to reserve for dinner though. Nice simple menu with a whole bunch of local ingredients thrown in. Service was exceptional, with wonderful waiter staff who never left us waiting more than a few seconds. A thoroughly enjoyable experience. Try the Limprisht, mmmm

May 22, 2010

Absolutely disgusted at the food. Nothing authentic about the sri lankan food. When we asked for the food to be spicy we were told we would get chilli on the side. The biryani turned out to be rice with chicken curry served on the side, it was cooked prior, definitely not fresh since it came within 3 minutes of ordering. The staff did come and ask how we liked the food to which I politely replied it was not even close to spicy and the 'chilli' served was nothing more than bottled sambal. Very disappointing! Over priced including the corkage of 9 dollars a bottle (we didn't get time to finish even half a glass before the meal.

Feb 02, 2010

I was expecting more from this well known banana leaf trade name. Unfortunately, it is the worst banana leaf/sri lankan restaurant I have ever been before. The meals are well presented but the taste is extremely awful. The portion is little and the price is expensive.

The chicken Yaka Ge Kaama is very very sour, (it seem like it was prepared with a full bottle of tomato sauce and vinegar), and only served with a small portion of rice. I didn't get to finish it and it is just unbearable to swallow. The Lomprisht, which was a highly recommended dish but it ended up with a great disappointment. The basmati rice is not fragrant at all and the curry doesn't taste like curry.

Think this is the only sri lankan restaurant around town. But if you want something nice, I recommend you to go somewhere else.

Apr 08, 2009

Lost count of the number of times I have been to Banana Leaf for both lunch and dinner. Never disappointed. Great food and great service in a central location. If you do not want to be disappointed, I suggest booking and putting a reserve on the Lomprisht - rice and curry cooked in banana leaves. Does it get any better? Best thing is that this place is open when others are not - like Melbourne Cup night.

Feb 14, 2009

Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe Banana Leaf Restaurant & Cafe

Subscribe to the Canberra newsletter for deals, specials and news!