Gus' Cafe

Add a Review for Gus' Cafe

Coffee

Coffee

User Reviews of Gus' Cafe, Canberra CBD

Wow. What an average place. It wasn't good it wasn't bad it was just average. It was like a piece of tofu - tasteless, colourless, placid.

Maybe I'm being harsh but for such an established business is it wrong of me to expect a bit more?

I was walking past the kitchen on my way out. The big chunky kitchen staff nearly murdered me with his eyes I felt violated, maybe he was just having a bad day, or maybe too many plates got sent back to him that day, who knows.

Sep 21, 2012

This place has been around since 1967, the sign says this. Its a Canberra institution open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can eat inside or outside but outside is by far the best spot. You can take in the busy Civic end of town as you enjoy a meal, snack or coffee.

blogRead more on my blog

Jul 17, 2012

Service and food were the worst we experienced in Canberra by a significant margin. Food was lukewarm on arrival, generally bland, and ingredients clearly were of low quality. Service was uneven and clearly not focused on the customer. Someone is clearly not trying very hard to make the most of a great location.

Apr 24, 2011

Gus' cafe in Canberra has a name for being around for awhile, but unfortunately that's about all it has going for it.

I went there for a birthday dinner recently, and had a lovely risotto, but the waiters got the meals wrong, causing one of our friends to wait 40 minutes to get her meal after everyone's had arrived. Our drinks didn't arrive after 40 minutes, and when we asked for them a second time, it took 40 minutes for them to come out. The waiters were uncouth, unprofessional and lazy, and didn't apologise for their bad service at all.

We took a second chance this evening for coffee. My hot chocolate was sickly sweet, so I returned it and asked for a new one. After not receiving it for half an hour, we got the bill to find they had charged us for both, and tried to blame it on moving tables, which our mates had done before we had ordered anything.

There is no excuse for the service in this place, and with the new better cafes popping up, they definitely need to pick up their standard if they are going to survive. We will definitely not be going back again.

Jul 16, 2010

Had a light lunch here. Food was good but nothing special. I just really liked the ambience of the place. It reminded me of the Belgian/Netherlands bar cafes. Service was fine and the coffee was good.

Jun 15, 2010

Great location (near where I work) and a tempting menu. Unfortunately, reality isn't as good. I've eaten breakfast here, perhaps, 3 times and won't be returning because the food wasn't fresh enough. Plenty of competition within a few metres.

Apr 08, 2010

For the price I expected better service and a higher quality meal.

Apr 08, 2010

Had dinner here and very disappointing! Food was under average, my husband would have cooked a better meal. Hubby had snapper placed on what looked like an unappetising thickened pumpkin soup, he felt very ripped off. I think it's only a canberra institution when it comes to coffee and cake, not an evening meal. Sorry Gus, but we would only return for the afore-mentioned, if that.

Mar 28, 2010

The food is not particularly special or memorable but on a Saturday morning the place has a nice mellow vibe. The service is a little inept with young backpackers looking like a lost sheep not knowing what to do next. As a Canberra institution it's probably worth doing at least once.

Jan 29, 2010

I found my whole experience for lunch as just average. (Average at best) The food was the low point, being overcooked and still not that hot. The service is cheery, but just not polished. At least it is easy to get to.

Nov 25, 2009

Subscribe to the Canberra newsletter for deals, specials and news!