Cream Cafe Bar

Add a Review for Cream Cafe Bar

User Reviews of Cream Cafe Bar, Canberra CBD

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Food  4      Coffee  4      Ambience  8      Service  1      Value  2

Pros - nice décor and ambience, open and airy space.
    Cons - staff are disinterested and serving you is beneath them. They made a mistake on our order, then the cake came out 30 minutes after coffee and after we had to ask for it. As soon as our forks were down, they came and scooped up our plates and told us we need to vacate table. This was a Sunday at 2pm... at a cafe! This place is used to getting patrons and takes them for granted.

Apr 21, 2013

It is a very nice looking shop but what you pay and what you get is very average. There are many other shops that outgun this one.

Sep 19, 2012

Pleasant decor, friendly service (lots of new staff) and good reliable food make Cream a good dining option.

Cream has indoor and outdoor seating options and both are pleasant. We ate inside with our group of seven and it worked well. I know some have commented on bad experiences with staff but I've never had a problem. Our table service was efficient and friendly throughout the night.

blogRead more on my blog

Jul 17, 2012

A birthday dinner @ Cream. A beautiful room apart from the questionable Missoni-esque ceiling, and the fluff on the smoked mirrors and subsequent drip on the booth lounges from their last polish. Unsure if the staff realise they are there to serve their patrons. Very pushy, invasive, without manners, an occasional 'excuse me' while trying to reach an ice-bucket over my head would go a long way, and the 'behind' comment should be aimed at colleagues, not diners.

The Specials board with a multitude of unpardonable spelling mistakes made me giggle to begin with, and infuriate me later on when this was all I could see in my line of sight. The menu should also have a proofread, liquors instead of liquers make the affogato seem punchy, if you chose bourbon or rum! A large shaving of parmesan lay on our table until plates were removed (clear from the left?) even though we did not have parmesan at all.

The best thing about my duck risotto was the crunchy, fresh scallions. The diner on my right also had it, I was lucky to get breast meat, he got the leg/gristle/bones. There was no moisture here whatsoever, and without salt (rare in a duck dish).

The desserts are unnecessarily oversized. My flat white coffee was lukewarm at best. The surcharge discussion comes up once more. Don't tell me I will pay a surcharge, just have a second menu for Sundays and Public Holidays! That way I won't have to think about it. Lost drinks, incorrect wine delivery (Hesketh and Henschke, not a similar label, so unsure how this happened), and the constant barging through diners in conversation is inexcusable, until you remember that Cream Cafe and Bar is just that, a cafe and bar, not a restaurant.

Jul 02, 2012

A Sunday breakfast with family, made unpleasant by uninterested staff who seem as if you're being done a favour. We actually asked for butter and there was eye rolling!
    Portions are small on small plates - value lacking. I was also unimpressed with the spinach side that was not only expensive, but completely saturated in oil. The fit out is good, and we were warm and comfortable, but good service really is an unknown concept here.

Apr 23, 2012

We went there (2 adults, 2 kids) on Good Friday. The foods were so Expensive ($27 for a supposedly-pancetta pasta with a oil, garlic and couple of pine nuts? You gotta be joking). My husband had a veal meal, not much to brag about. Kids had the kids menu, very pricey.

On top of that, the public holiday surcharge of close to $18! Hmm...Canberra, very expensive. At least they did not charge for the chilli oil I asked for (or did they?).

Apr 12, 2012

Go for the great food but do not stay for the service or atmosphere.

blogRead more on my blog

Mar 24, 2012

Valentines day in the city with my Husband, tapas and oysters were fine, no complaints. I ordered the 'Jambalaya' with 'seafood' for the main, after one mouthful I felt disgusted that they could serve what tasted like a frozen meal. I asked the wait staff to take it back and if I could order something else. This was such an ordeal, I was asked 'whats wrong with it?', I explained that it tasted 'pre frozen', not like the Jambalaya dish I'd had once before.

The waiter knelt down beside me in a patronising way and explained "this is the poor mans version of 'Jambalaya', the poor people in the southern USA eat it".... I wanted to take it off the bill since I didn't eat it but they insisted I pay (we had already ordered a bottle of wine, tapas for two, a dozen oysters, two main and an extra glass of wine...).

A very expensive frozen meal of Jambalaya and a waiter who refers to one of Cream's dishes a 'a poor man's version'. Never again!

Feb 15, 2012

Had lunch there. Welcome is good and shown to a table very quickly. Given water and menus and order taken quite quickly. Son's burger was very, very good (chicken), however, my beef burger was atrocious. I should have sent it back (I know that). It was almost a rubber consistency, not a nice meat pattie with some interesting texture and flavour. I could barely cut it let alone eat it. Loads of tomato type sauce so your face was a big mess if you bit into it.

For the cost ($50 for 2 one soft drink, one coffee and 2 burgers) won't be heading back there anytime soon. I'm not kidding, a McFeast from Mcdonalds is a more interesting beef burger.

Oct 25, 2011

I had lunch at Cream yesterday with my daughter. The place was very busy, yet the service was good. It took us a while to decide what to order from the interesting (although not overly extensive) menu. I was quite peckish and given the price of the dish I was considering, I was concerned that the serving size would be a little on the small side. How wrong I was! Both dishes we ordered (Chimmichunga and Lamb Skewers) were very substantial and both tasted amazing.

There appeared to be an interesting dessert cabinet, however, neither my daughter nor I had room for anything else!

Jul 24, 2011

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Subscribe to the Canberra newsletter for deals, specials and news!