Ying's Eltham Restaurant

Ying's Eltham Restaurant Contact Info

Asian

Add a Review for Ying's Eltham Restaurant

User Reviews of Ying's Eltham Restaurant

Yings is great, don't knock the owner Phyllis, she has been through a lot and may be a little annoying, but she only means well.

Jun 19, 2011

I really don't know if we got the owner on a bad night but seriously I have a great sense of humour. But I have never found anyone so rude in my life and my family go to asian restaurants at least twice a week all over Melbourne. Food was ok but I will never go back again because of the rudeness of the senior staff. She should never work in customer service!

Feb 17, 2011

The food was great, phyllis is great, she kept us with a smile all night. Service was great, the meals came out quick and well spaced. Great spot and very easy to find, I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble to travel into the city for a meal when Yings is so good. Will be back for sure.

Aug 18, 2010

"Different". Too much fun. $278 for party of six, without liquor. Didn't charge corkage. Won't be going back.

Dec 19, 2009

The food was just ok, the lady was crazy, she loved my boyfriend for some reason. Both the food and drinks were overpriced. I wouldn't rush back there for that reason. There are heaps more good places to eat around hear!

Nov 05, 2009

Just moved to Eltham and tried this place. Overpriced and the quality of the food was very disappointing. Our beef dish was probably the toughest meat I have ever eaten. Yes the woman who runs the place is a bit weird, another reason not to rush to this place for a meal.

Jul 19, 2009

Food is over priced for quality. Bad service.

Jun 11, 2009

Average on taste and expensive. With only just average food, tough meat and ok flavours I was really disappointed to find that the value projected with their online menu (citysearch) is not honoured in store.

Jun 10, 2009

Ying's Eltham has been around for many many years, despite what the previous reviewer stated. Ying's in Diamond Creek has been operating for a couple of years. The food at Eltham is exceptionally good, the service quite good, spiced up with some choice harassment from Phyllis. If you don't mind being insulted (all in good fun), you will enjoy the theatrics.

My husband often gets told what a good boy he is for taking out his daughter (ha ha). She's a nut, the food is wonderful and the location is very good. The parking could be better, one side is poorly lit and feels a bit dangerous (someone could be lurking in the bushes) and the interior could be filled with some more lovely authentic Asian nicknacks to complement the attractive exterior. A great restaurant that I will return to many times.

Jan 10, 2008

Ying's is relatively new on the restaurant scene. I think it's been going for about 4 months. Can't quite remember what was here before. But it's in a good location to catch motorists on the way home from the city (Melbourne).

Ambience:
    The restaurant is well laid out with plenty of space between the tables. Plenty of windows and mirrors to make you think there's more windows than there is. A good trick in any venue. The aircon is very effective and the lighting is just what you need without being excessive. The muzak could do with being a bit more muzaky and subtle, jazz is too loud, less is more. My only other gripes are that I prefer linen table cloths, not paper ones (Yeah I'm nitpicking!) and a hot handtowel before or after (or both) the meal would be a useful addition.

Food:
    The sharkfin and chicken soup was very good, with plenty of sharkfin which isn't always the case in some other Chinese restaurants. Pricing was quite good also. The entree of Fried Wontons were smaller than I'm used to, but were crisp and tasted good. The sweet/sour sauce was spot on. My main course of Cantonese Beef was interesting in that it came on a sizzling plate. Normally you'd need to order Satay Beef or Tangy Sauce Beef to get this. But I didn't mind the pyrotechnics. The taste and texture of the beef was perfect, as were the snow peas, with just enough onion. There was also some broccholi, although I'm not a fan of the stuff, so I haven't factored it into the overall score. I BYO'd so I didn't get a look at the wine list. But Ying's does serve VB and Tsing Tao beers...which is always a good sign.

Service:
    It was pretty good. There was mimimal delay between courses and the staff were efficient. Although it was a quiet night (Tuesday) so I'll have to go back and see what it's like on a Friday or Saturday.

Value:
    The value's pretty good. Especially for the sharkfin soup ($9) which is well over the $12 mark at most other restaurants. There's takeaway, if your in a hurry. But I always say good food shouldn't be rushed. Enjoy!

Jan 08, 2008

Subscribe to the Melbourne newsletter for deals, specials and news!