Chianti Classico

Australian Gourmet Traveller 2012 - One Star

2011

Australian Gourmet Traveller 2011 - One Star

Overview of Chianti Classico

Chianti Classico is an Italian restaurant located on the lovely tree-lined Hutt Street, east of the Adelaide CBD. There is ample and varied dining space here: You have a ground floor dining area, an all-weather al fresco veranda and upstairs space for private dining, functions and meetings.

Chianti Classico serves mains inspired by the Italian regions of Tuscany, Venice and Piedmont. Expect delicious pasta choices, a rabbit dish and desserts of panna cotta, gelato and affogato. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Elegant simplicity, delectable Italian food, fine wines and impeccable service have given Chianti Classico its many industry accolades and more importantly, loyal patronage from locals.

Add a Review for Chianti Classico

User Reviews of Chianti Classico, Adelaide CBD

Really enjoyed the menu and our selections. Definitely recommend for a evening meal that is a bit more special.

Mobile Review Sep 07, 2013

Went for lunch, the place seemed nice and comfortable. After a longer than a normal wait got our food. It was fine but not extraordinary. Decided to get up and pay on the way out. The lady-supervisor looked more than unhappy with us. Not sure what it was: the fact that we came to the counter, paid with a gift voucher or didn't stay for dessert, whatever it was it made us feel unwelcomed and judged. Thought that customer service tricks would be widely exercised everywhere by now. Outcome: Not returning for more.

Jul 01, 2012

The Good

An excellent lunch featuring some of the best pasta I have ever had in the form of the tagliolini with a rich sugo featuring many, many chucks of spanner crab meat. The offer of a dessert tasting menu when we could not decide on our dessert options was a fantastic service touch.

The Bad

None.

The Meal

House bread with olives and olive oil

Arancini alla Boscaiola - Lightly fried risotto croquettes flavoured with wild mushrooms, black truffle and parmesen

Fiori di Zucchine - Lightly fried zucchini flowers filled with ricotta cheese and pine nuts, served with tomato relish

Tagliolini con Granchio - Fine pasta ribbons with a rich sugo of Queensland spanner crab meat, tomatoes and basil.

Pappardelle con Anitra - Handmade broad pasta ribbons with roasted duck meat, red capsicums, spinach, pinenuts and olive oil.

Dessert tasting platter - semifreddo, Torta di cioccolate, zabaglione, panna cotta amongst others

blogRead more on my blog

Apr 22, 2012

Such a disappointment. I can only guess the manager was having the night off when myself and Mrs Greybeard stopped by. Let's start with the wine. Nice list. I chose a Rockfords Shiraz from 2005. The lass serving us brought a 2006. When I pointed this out before it was opened she shrugged and proceeded to open it! I managed to stop her through apopleptic gesturation and ordered a different wine.

Then, the entree. Scallops on the shell. Simple enough fare, but drowned in olive oil, smothered in bread crumbs and grilled dry. I ate two and left the remainder. Mrs Greybeard had a salad which she said was 'nice'. At this point, about 9pm, the staff seemed to decide it was time to encourage guests to leave. They began ostentatiously and loudly clearing tables. We were seated near the bar, which they used to pile dirty glasses and plates higher and higher. Truly revolting to behold.

Our main courses came but I cannot recall much about them. We took a couple of bites, got the bill and left, to find dessert and coffee elsewhere. 'That was quite bizarre,' said Mrs Greybeard in her typical understated way.

Jan 30, 2011

A fantastic breakfast here. This place is worth making the effort to get out to for special occasions. The variety on the menu was outstanding and every item that we ordered was done perfectly. My favourites were the banana waffles and the ricotta hotcakes. The service was impeccable at this restaurant, friendly and attentive without being over the top. I can't wait to come back here again.

Nov 23, 2010

My friend and I were visiting from Sydney and decided to try this place. We made a reservation a day earlier and managed to get a table the next day. And it was a Saturday.

We were seated as soon as we arrived. We had a seat outside which was very nice as we had the view of the street. Service was very prompt and friendly.

We ordered a few dishes to share and the staff kindly gave us side plates without us asking. The homemade blue swimmer pasta I had was the best pasta I've ever tasted. It was al dente pasta.

Overall, we paid about $140 for an entree, two mains, a salad, a dessert and two glasses of wine. Amazing value for so much food. I would definitely go back whenever I visit again. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to have a great experience as well as amazing food.

Oct 30, 2010

Disappointing, no service, disgusting food. I am sure I would have received better food and friendlier service from any Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise. Just a disgusting customer experience!

Aug 03, 2010

My friend and I dined at this restaurant on a Tuesday night and we were both very disappointed with the experience. We ordered the pork which was a daily special and the black angus beef. Both meals were served lukewarm. On advising the waiting staff, they removed both meals and said they would put them under the heat lamp. Now I have dined at far less upmarket restaurants than this and I have never had a waiter simply suggest that a meal would simply be reheated under a heat lamp.

Needless to say, 20 minutes later when the food was returned to us, the top pieces of meat were hot and the pieces underneath were now stone-cold. No apologies or discounts were offered. To add further insult the broccolini that was ordered arrived after we had finished eating and that too was stone cold. I strongly suggest you lift your game as if this is indicative of your service standards, you won't be in business for much longer.

Jul 29, 2010

I took a large group for a business function at Chianti and was very impressed. We were given our own section and was treated very well. The food was divine and good portions. Why I rated down the service was because we had organised for a special birthday dessert for one of my guests (we phoned in prior to the night to organise this and when I got there was asked to point out the birthday girl when she arrives) but despite the reassurance in the beginning of the night that this was going to happen, the dessert came without any fuss about the birthday girl. I had to stand up and chase up her special birthday dessert! It finally came more than 15 minutes after she finished her other dessert!

But overall, a good place to go to impress clients!

Mar 20, 2009

All round a fantastic option, but at a price. The food is superbly prepared, delivered and tastes fantastic. We did BYO with some special bottles, so can't comment on the wine list. This place is a great celebration restaurant, with friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere.

Nov 15, 2008

Chianti Classico Chianti Classico Chianti Classico Chianti Classico Chianti Classico « 1 of 5 photos »

Subscribe to the Adelaide newsletter for deals, specials and news!